#003 Thailand Update: Dream World
I promised you an update after Dream World, so here it is.
Yesterday, we went to Dream World for a company event. If you recall, I told you Dream World was the equivalent of Disneyland in Thailand. When we started out, we all met in a stage area where John Oatley, the Vice President of Operations in Thailand, gave a speech and got the day started. We spent the first two hours watching the events on stage. The topic was “Spirit Day,” so it was centered around things to raise spirit: Employees dressed up as cheerleaders, everyone in the crowd was given things to wave around, there were competitions between the orange, violet, and blue teams, etc.
An interesting note: not all the cheerleaders that wore a skirt were female. Another note: Towards the end of the events, they passed out some candies for everyone to eat, only they were not “candy.” They were menthol drops. This is pretty common in Thailand, but it took Livonia by surprise. I commented to Livonia how much I must have gotten used to things, because things that she is amazed by I have grown rather accustomed to. That was one thing I was used to. I was also used to the driving in Thailand, which Livonia is still trying to get used to.
After the events, we stopped off at the KFC in the park to grab a bite to eat. Keep in mind, the last time we ate was at 3AM, so we were pretty hungry. We saw on the schedule that lunch was going to be served at 1PM, but it was only 11AM and we couldn’t wait that long. Something you can’t get at a KFC in the US: Coconut Pie. Not too bad. They also serve all the meals with fries, which was a little different. Oh, and you have a choice between catsup and a spicy/sweet sauce. Livonia liked the spicy/sweet sauce.
We went on a few rides (got really, REALLY soaked on the last ride), and then went into the lunch area. When the Thais eat, they EAT! I can’t remember exactly how many courses we had, but it seemed like the food never stopped coming. It was fun watching the kids eat. The only thing you are given to eat with is a soup spoon and chopsticks. Oh well, trial by fire, right? Nathan gave his best effort at using both hands and both chopsticks, but I think Christian’s “stab” technique worked best overall. They also had lots of dancing at lunch, and our friend Kanittha got Livonia out on the dance floor to teach her “Traditional Thai Dancing.” Livonia was such a good sport.
Speaking of her being a good sport, after lunch we went by the ride that got Esaiah, Christian and me all wet. We convinced Livonia to take Nathan to the top of this ride (walkway over the ride) and help Nathan to get wet. He was too young to go on the ride with us, and he really wanted to be soaking wet like his Dad and brothers. I got a picture of the action as it happened. I called it “Monsoon” because I think that’s what we’re gonna have to deal with once it hits. So far, it’s been pretty dry, but I know it’s only a matter of time.
We continued to ride the rides for the rest of the day (one was called “Grand Canyon”), and got completely tired out. Livonia and I dropped the boys off at the house and then went to the local supermarket. Afterwards, I talked her into getting a foot massage with me. Ah, after a long day at the park, that is JUST what the doctor ordered. Two one-hour foot massages: 500 Baht ($12.50 US). Not too bad, and definitely worth it. I think we both fell asleep during it. We finished the massage, and took a nice leisurely walk back to the apartment, capping off the end of another good day.
Today, we are taking the kids to the ISB to meet their counselors and get ready for school. I’ve got a few more pictures from Dream World. Hope you all enjoy the updates. Until next time…
Entrance to Dream World
Roger, Esaiah and Christian
Livonia and Nathan caught in the “Monsoon” of Big Splash.
Nathan, The Mario Andretti of my family
Esaiah zooming around the track
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home