#023 Thailand Update: Yes, Indeed
Late again.
I have got to get my alarm clock function on my iPod figured out. Maybe it’s just making the Executive Decision to not wake me up at 4:15am anymore. I don’t know. I think I need a new alarm clock.
What Am I Eating?
I did a little better at lunch yesterday. Thursday’s are the days when the losing party has to buy lunch. If you recall, Chartchai was the losing party, since he was a new entry this week. However, he somehow managed to get out of it, so the nod went to the one who actually lost this week: Ekgachai. He took us to the place where you can feed the large catfish. I started thinking about this whole feeding process with fish. What a great way to make money, and not have to maintain your pets. All you do is buy the fish and put them in a pond. Then, you put fish food out there and charge people to feed them. You make money off the fish food, and you don’t have to deal with the hassle of feeding your fish everyday. What a great concept! I think I’ll build a pond when I get back to the US.
I ordered Pat Kee Maoh again. This is most likely spelled different from the last time, but as I said before, who knows to care? It was a little spicier than the last time, and I had to stop eating a few times to catch my breath. Otherwise, it was fine. I ordered water “Mai Namkang” as well. No use trying that again on a weak stomach, right?
International Night at ISB
I left work early on Thursday so I could get home in time to enjoy “International Night” at ISB. It is a night that showcases the diverse cultures of the school. The night started out with a fashion show, where numerous kids strutted their stuff while wearing traditional items from their home country. We had a couple of cowboys from the US. There was one girl from India who was really hamming it up. I think she may have a future career on the runway. She was very cognizant of her environment and holding a pose long enough for people to get a shot off. I’m almost positive every digital camera in the place got at least one shot of her.
After the show, we visited all the rooms, where activities were going on that were indicative of the country. Our first stop was in a room that made confetti balls out of egg shells. Apparently, the eggs are colored like easter eggs, but are colored raw, not boiled. After the coloring, a hole is made in top of the egg. All the contents are removed and the egg shell is sat out to dry. This is what we walked into. You take the dried eggshell, fill it with confetti, apply some glue around the hole, and then cover the hole with a piece of colored tissue paper. The point of all this? You are supposed to crack the egg over someone’s head so confetti flies all over the place. Rather than have wet glue, soggy tissue paper, and bits of egg and confetti in my hair, I convinced my kids to hang onto them as souvenirs.
We did other things in other rooms, but I don’t want to bore you with the play by play. I will however tell you about the potato dance. Have you ever heard of this? It’s from Canadia (or Canada for all you people who haven’t seen “Strange Brew”), and it is a rather interesting dance. You take a potato (hence the name) and put it in between your forehead and your partners forehead. After accomplishing this, you dance around with a potato between you until it falls down. I happened to be in the room when Mathew was in there. Mathew and his kids were very good at the dance. I cannot say the same for me and mine. I believe the maximum amount of time Nathan and I were able to hold the potato between us was about 30 seconds. Mathew and Christopher managed to do it for the entire time the song was playing.
Show Off.
I took a couple of pictures of this, and I’ll try and post them if I think about it.
Yes, Indeed
Tonight, I’m taking Livonia out to “Yes, Indeed,” which is a Restaurant/Bar/Karaoke place. I want to take Livonia here because I want her to her the people who sing here. They have some pretty amazing voices (although not near the caliber of my wife...). I am going with several of the Thais that I work with. It will give them a good chance to get to know Livonia, and vice versa. I’m sure they are all going to love her, and especially her energy. Livonia has the type of personality that people love to be around. For people who know this, I am singing to the choir. Our friend Lumyai tried to surprise her yesterday by being at Starbucks in the morning. I told her what time Livonia would be there, so she wanted to be in Starbucks when Livonia came inside. Why? Lumyai said she loves the reaction Livonia gives her when she sees her. She loves how Livonia gets so happy, gives her a big hug, and makes her smile. Sometimes I forget how special my wife makes people feel. How does she make all of you feel?
Okay, feeling a little nauseous this morning, so I better cut this off short.
Until next time...
1 Comments:
Still haven't gotten over the car-sickness when typing, huh? ( I never managed it either :-) Matt )
Post a Comment
<< Home